Mortal Kombat - Retro Reflections

I have played a LOT of Mortal Kombat over the last couple of weeks. This was done in no small part because of the new release about a week and a half ago. I've posted on Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe as well as the Mortal Kombat reboot, but I also got a chance to dust off a handful of older Mortal Kombat games (I didn't eve know we had all of these until my son mentioned a few).

I have a lot of fond memories of Mortal Kombat, and like NBA Jam, those memories were a bit kinder than the realities - especially when pitted against having played the recent modern counterpart. The graphics actually hold up okay, as do the sound effects and music, but the controls killed me - often literally. I used to be fairly good at these games, but it took me quite a while to get the hang of playing again with favorites of mine (like Scorpion), and some systems were better than others.

I made a quick video montage of the versions we had laying about:

Mortal Kombat 1 for the SNES
Mortal Kombat 2 and 3 for the Sega Genesis
Mortal Kombat Trilogies, 4, and Mythologies for the N64

Of them all, 3 and Trilogies aged the best I think. 4 was very 3-D heavy and felt off to me, and Mythologies was more of a side-scrolling adventure game. I will admit though, it was fun using Scorpion to use the fire-breathing skull fatality on Sub Zero in MK1 (that's on video). One thing I found interesting were the range of settings for things like blood, and also the button configurations. The genesis pad wasn't too bad, but I found the N64 controller a bit awkward for fighting games. Anyway, it was a fun stroll down memory lane, and you can definitely see their influences on the new release, which I am still playing and thoroughly enjoying.


Share:

2 comments:

  1. "The graphics actually hold up okay, as do the sound effects and music, but the controls killed me - often literally."

    HAHA! Also, the story text for MK3 said, "You have been chosen to represent Earth in Mortal Kombat...", so I guess it is on Earth!

    I think Mortal Kombat Mythologies was the first N64 game I played, after receiving the system. My mom had rented me I think two games, and that was one of them...she didn't want to buy any game that I might not have liked, so she went the rental route.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an awesome observation - totally missed that even after our talk about the setting. :)

    I didn't play Mythologies until much later. It was a bargain pickup. "Oh, shiny, Mortal Kombat". But I really didn't know anything about that particular game.

    ReplyDelete

Random posts

Our Streamers

Susan "Jagtress" N.


S.M. Carrière

Louis aka Esefine

Aldren



Affiliates

JenEricDesigns – Coffee that ships to the US and Canada

JenEricDesigns – Coffee that ships to the US and Canada
Light, Medium and Dark Roast Coffee available.

Blog Archive

Labels